[mythtv-users] Fwd: Trouble with MythTV tuning to ABC in Melbourne Australia

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Apr 10 18:22:08 UTC 2008

Stephen Rosman wrote:
>>> Is it possible you are trying to tune an inferior copy of the channel?
>
> I don't think this is it - the frequency and ids in channels.conf are the same
> as listed in the mythtv transport editor.
>
>> Finding out which transports you really should be receiving: dunno, there's a
>> set of web pages I use (and recommend) in the UK, in Oz there must be some
>> similar setup.
>
> It all works using the channels.conf file that is generated from the "getting
> your usb dvb-t card working" intro on the linuxtv site.
>
> I'll have to give up on mythtv for the moment and wait for Fedora9, I think
> I recall seeing that better mythtv support was one of the goals for
> this release.
>
> Thanks for the quick response.

Not quite what I meant. Here in the UK, although I am quite close to my local
transmitter, I can get signals from at least two other transmitters which are
some distance away. Some of the multiplexes from both of these other
transmitters use lower channels than the local one does, so they get selected
and put in the channel table first. Subsequent ones are seen as dups so get
dropped. So then I have to go to the transport editor, figure out which ones I
want, delete them, and then do a rescan using existing transports (ie don't look
for the ones I deleted) in order to get a clean channel list.

I don't use an externally-generated channels.conf file, I let mythtv-setup do
the hard work.

Mike Perkins