[mythtv-users] LCD HDTV recommendations (that are Myth friendly)...

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:02:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> do you currently have your HDTV connected directly to your MythBox?
>  or are you routing your signal through an AVR?  i guess i'm wondering
>  what Myth 'best practice' is :)
>
>  i'm currently routing through my AVR but everything is SD to an old
>  CRT, so i'm not doing any scaling/formatting of any kind.  i'm
>  planning on routing in a similar manner with the new screen, but
>  everything will be connected via HDMI instead of S-Video.
>
>  and if you are routing your output through an AVR, are you doing any
>  scaling/formatting in Myth, at the AVR, or with the HDTV itself?
>
>  :)

Personally, I'm using an AVR to route everything to the TV over HDMI.
I'm not 100% happy with it though.  It has a crappy internal scaler
(Onkyo SR674B).  Not a problem for MythTV, but for other sources which
don't get scaled on their own -- e.g. my Wii over component.  The Wii
doesn't look as crisp as it did when directly connected to the TV over
component.  Were I to do it again, I might have a few sources
connected directly to the TV, assuming that the TV has a better scaler
than the AVR, and providing that the TV has discrete input access.

The Harmony is a very nice remote.  I use a 550.  But it still sucks
waiting to cycle between 7-8 inputs.  And doesn't help you when the
kid or wife accidently changes the input manually.  That is why I got
an AVR in the first place:  my TV has two connections, power and hdmi.
 I just wish I had waited to get a better quality unit.

- Willy