[mythtv-users] LCD HDTV recommendations (that are Myth friendly)...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:56:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Matt White <whitem at arts.usask.ca> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> hey all,
>  >>
>  >>  i've been given the 'ok' from the CFO to upgrade our 10yo CRT to a
>  >>  modern day LCD HDTV.
>  [snip]
>
> >>  TIA for any help/suggestions
>  >
>  > at those prices, if your room isn't ridiculously bright, get a plasma!
>  > Better colors, better blacks, glass instead of plastic. I have a
>  > Panasonic TH50PZ700U hooked up to my main MythTV frontend and it works
>  > wonderfully.
>
>  I agree...I just picked up a Panasonic TH42PZ77 for my mom's living
>  room.  It sits 90 degrees to the large picture windows; even so, glare
>  just isn't an issue.  I don't think I've seen a better anti-glare coating...

Yea, the room has to be *really* bright. We have ours on a
perpendicular wall to our windows (East facing) and even during the
middle of the day we only have to set the brightness/contrast to
around 60% to overcome the light coming through the windows, and there
is no glare due to the coating.

>  It also has a fantastic picture (even fed from an expressvu SD
>  receiver).  I didn't have my mythbox at home when I hooked it up for
>  her, but my Macbook, plugged in via DVI->HDMI, automatically set up for
>  1920x1080 when I hooked it up, and content looked GREAT.

yea, the only downside is that via the VGA input you can only get
1024x768 i believe, but the two HDMI ports on mine work at 1080p and
have proper EDID output.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!