[mythtv-users] Two antennas again (semi-OT)

backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org
Wed Apr 9 23:18:21 UTC 2008

mythtv folks:

This is pretty much a followup to my posts in the earlier thread
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/318560#318560

I was waiting for spring to try moving the antenna from the attic to the
roof in order to get better reception.  Well, spring is here.

To recap my setup:  For tuners I have a pcHDTV 5500 and an HDHR.  I had
bought two directional UHF antennas since the "you got questions, we got
answers" folks at Radio Shack said that's the way to go since we are
located in between the two antenna clusters.  The smart folks on this
list suggested I'd be able to get the closer cluster out of the back of
the directional antenna, and in fact I got just as good reception with
one antenna pointed to the distant cluster as I did with both.  So I
took the second one out of commission.

Now, I am considering putting up both antennas on the roof, but set up
this way:  Both would point to the distant cluster.  One would plug into
my 5500 and the other one (with a splitter) into the two HDHR inputs.
This way I don't have as much splitter losses.  It also makes sense
location-wise, too, since the first logical mounting spot is near my
mythtv box (combined FE/BE, with the 5500 PCI card), and the other
location is nearer my home network router, where I could plop down the
HDHR.  I've already got the two antennas so all I'd be shelling out for
is two mounting kits and a bit of RG-6, and the grounding wire, so why
not?

My question is this:  These two logical spots on the roof are about 28
feet apart.  Is this far enough apart such that they will not interfer
with each other?  Does the fact that they are not merged make
interference less of an issue?  I am looking at channels ranging from 14
to 43.

Thanks for any advice.

J.S.