[mythtv-users] Live TV sound always on

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 22:20:11 UTC 2008

Jesper Gjesager Thusgaard wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My live TV sound is always on, also when the frontend is off. I run front
> and backend on the same machine, so I figure that my problem is that I can
> hear the backend sound. But how do I turn this off? It isn't much fun
> watching recordings with live TV sound.
>
> OpenSuse 10.3
> MythTV 0.21
>
> Please help
>
> Kind regards Jesper

Jesper,

My guess is that you're capturing analog TV and the capture card's audio
output is piped into the computer's sound card. The most common mistake
with this setup is setting the mixer levels for that input on your
soundcard (e.g., Line In) to anything more than 0%, so once the capture
card has been opened, the sound stays on. I know this is
misleading/counterintuitive (I've made the same mistake). What you
should do is set the mixer level for that input to 0, and instead find a
switch in your mixer program called "Line In capture" (or whatever input
it is), enable it, and also find and set the level of the audio
recording Capture.

Cheers,
Jesse