[mythtv-users] LCD HDTV recommendations (that are Myth friendly)...

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 9 15:30:04 UTC 2008

Andrew Close wrote:
> hey all,
>
> i've been given the 'ok' from the CFO to upgrade our 10yo CRT to a
> modern day LCD HDTV.
> currently, 95% of what we watch is SD content captured by Myth.  the
> other 5% is DVD and Internet content.  i know that a lot of the
> earlier HDTV's really struggled to make SD video watchable.  is that
> still the case?

I ended up with a Westinghouse 42" 1080p display. No tuner, just
display. I love it. It was (and still is) my second choice to a Sony
Bravia. (Now that I work for Sony, I'm kicking myself for not waiting
since I could have gotten a GREAT deal in a 52" Bravia. Grr.)

I chose to get a display without a tuner. This is GREAT for setting it
up with myth. No modeline necessary. 1920x1080 really is 1920x1080. No
overscan.

I mostly watch SD from DirecTV and in 0.20 it was quite acceptable, but
in 0.21 with yadif deinterlacer, everything looks a lot better.

Bottom line is that I really like my Westinghouse display and would
recommend it to anyone. In fact, I just installed one in a music
studio's main room for digital editing. I like the ability to turn down
the backlight to compensate for ambient light. I'm not sure if all
displays do this, but I imagine it will make the backlight last longer
as well as make it easier on the eyes in a dark room.

-Brad