[mythtv-users] How hard is it to build an HD MythTV?

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 12:15:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM, allene222 <nabble at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:

> In terms of trying it first before buying the hardware.  Well, I would
> have
> to get the HDHR anyway and the only computer I have that I could try it on
> would be a P4-2.4GHz and that may not be enough for HD or even ATSC into
> SD
> for that matter from what I have read.  Do you think I should try it with
> this computer?  Would it even work with the HDHR into SD?  Some of what I
> watch is only on the HD feed of the ATSC stream (PBS).  I guess I could
> still experiment with some of the SD sub channels...
>
> Allen Edwards

That system would work fine, provided a reliable video card. I have a
P4-2.4ghz master backend doing my HD now. I have a pair (and planning to add
2 more) of Pinnacle HDTV pci cards in it. The frontend is a P4 2.8 HT that
is running both a slave backend and a frontend, as well as a framegrabber
card. When I try to watch HD and record on the SD framegrabber (software
encoding), I have problems. Otherwise, playback works flawlessly on my
geforce4. The setup you've picked sounds like a good choice.

~Jon