[mythtv-users] Damn you Time Warner

Greg Oliver greg.oliver at cistera.com
Tue Apr 8 21:40:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 14:26 -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Apr 8, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> >> DirecTV gets around this by allowing you to hook up an antenna to your
> >> STB and tune HD OTA channels with it. I'm not sure if this applies to
> >> cable as well. That's not to say they don't carry local HD stations as
> >> many satellite companies do, but the OTA Antenna is always an option
> >> on
> >> their boxes.
> >
> > I've even seen antennas that mount to the satellite dish and can
> > therefore feed the local off-airs down the same coax. This works for
> > stations that are truly "local" (ie: could probably be picked up with
> > rabbit ears) and not for stations requiring a substantial antenna
> > system.
> >
> > Around here the cable system's advertising says "get ALL your local
> > stations". I guess this would be valid for those systems where it is
> > actually true, and in markets where the satellite providers do not in
> > fact carry all of the locals.
> >
> > Of course the local cable ads also accuse the satellite providers of
> > "aggressively processing" their signals. I guess reducing them to QAM
> > quality doesn't qualify as aggressive enough?
> >
> > beww
>
> I've got DirecTV HD installing here on Saturday. I've seen Comcast HD at
> a friend's place and it's TERRIBLE. I'm hoping DirecTV isn't as
> compressed as Comcast. I guess I'll find out.

DirecTV does the same as Comcast - they provide higher bitrates on
"mostly viewed" channels, but I would say over all, their HD is at least
200% better since they now have a dedicated bird to HD and all new
content is already converted to MP4 prior to transmission on that
satellite..

Obviously, channels that are upscaled are no better, but native HD
channels look much better on DTV..  IMO anyhow..

-GReg