[mythtv-users] Exciting updates to video2ipod!

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Apr 8 20:04:45 UTC 2008

>  Jeff, sounds like you've been hard at work.  I haven't used this in a
>  long time, might take a look again.  However, I'm really trying to
>  stay away from custom scripts and plugins as much as possible.  Any
>  thoughts into getting this functionality integrated into myth itself?

I can't imagine it was THAT long ago - I only wrote the script in
February. You might be thinking of one of the other ipod convert
scripts. myth2ipod, maybe?

I'd love to see it in built into myth! But I suspect it would be a lot
of work to add that functionality to the transcoder. The idea for this
script is to make it as "un-hacky" as possible. For a user-job, it's
actually fairly well integrated into myth. Calling the transcoder, for
example, only requires the chanid and starttime - it uses myth perl
bindings to get the rest of the info for the recording. The iPod is so
picky about file formats, I suspect that even if I put all the work in
to make it generate an mp4 of h264+aac, the iPod would still complain.

 - Jeff