[mythtv-users] Is MythTV still incompatible with new firewire subsystem?

Tim Fenn fenn at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 8 19:12:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:17:48 -0600 Curtis Stanford
<curtis at stanfordcomputing.com> wrote:

> On 6-Apr-08, at 6:02 PM, William Munson wrote:
>
> > Marc Barrett wrote:
> >> The firewire entry on the mythtv wiki has a note that says:
> >>
> >> '"Fedora 7 and anything running kernel 2.6.22 or greater uses
> >> the new firewire architecture that is INCOMPATIBLE with MythTV"
> >>
> >> It includes some instructions on how to compile old firewire
> >> drivers for mythtv.  This information may be a bit dated, so
> >> is this still necessary?  Or have these incompatibilities been
> >> fixed?
> >>
> > Yes. That is the very reason I rebuilt with Ubuntu a month ago.
> > Nothing
> > significant has changed since then in Myth code. Was running SVN
> > trunk and now running 0.21-fixes. Fedora sucks for many reasons,
> > this is one and the way too often release cycle is the other.
>
> I'm using kernel 2.6.24.1 with firewire (Gentoo)

To clarify: myth (0.20 or 0.21) does not support the 2.6.22 firewire
stack (firewire_ohci and firewire_core).  Some distributions include
the deprecated 1394 modules, others don't - such as fedora - in which
case you'll have to acquire them elsewhere (atrpms to the rescue
- see the ieee1394 kernel module packages) or compile them on your own.

Arguably, the 1394 modules could have been included and simply
blacklisted so it would be easy to switch from one to the other, but
it still would lead to a good deal of confusion, I would imagine.

I honestly don't see how fedora "sucks" in this regard.  In fact,
they seem to be doing a great deal to fix the new stack, a la Jarod
Wilson's patches/bugfixes to firewire_ohci/core.

HTH,
Tim

--
CAPS LOCK IS THE CRUISE CONTROL OF AWESOMNESS