[mythtv-users] esata drives - experience?

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Tue Apr 8 17:11:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-04 at 09:39 -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Krzysztof Adamski
> > On Tue, 2008-08-04 at 10:44 -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> >> Seems like for $130 you might be able to get a decent case,
> >> motherboard/cpu combo (doesn't need much) and a regular IDE PCI board
> >> and just build a server.  Then just iSCSI or NFS mount it back to your
> >> main system.  I did this recently with a stack of 5 160GB drives using
> >> a free after rebate case, leftover boards and memory and buying a
> >> SATA/IDE PCI board.  Ended up with software RAID 5, about 600GB of
> >> iSCSI space that I mounted over to my Vista box for photo storage.
> >
> > For lower overhead you can use AoE instead of iSCSI if both machines are
> > on the same LAN.
>
> What's AoE?  I've not heard that before.
>
> I've been reading up on iscsi and it sounds interesting....  Faster
> throughput than NFS?  That would be cool.
>
> Would a 700 MHz PIII be sufficient as a server for this?  I have one of
> those handy.  And, could it be used for recordings with myth?  Are there
> bandwidth issues?

ATA over Ethernet, take a look here for explanation:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8149

700 MHz PIII should be fast enough for a disk server. You can put all
your extra drives in it, run RAID/LVM on it and export it with AoE.
At this point you mount it on your other machine as if it was a local
drive. For something fancy you can use a cluster file system and have
the same drives mounted on other machines. The possibilities are endles
on what you can do.

One more example is to have multiple computers with exported AoE drives
and run LVM on top of them and present them to the Myth backend.