[mythtv-users] esata drives - experience?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Apr 8 16:39:36 UTC 2008

Krzysztof Adamski
> On Tue, 2008-08-04 at 10:44 -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> Seems like for $130 you might be able to get a decent case,
>> motherboard/cpu combo (doesn't need much) and a regular IDE PCI board
>> and just build a server.  Then just iSCSI or NFS mount it back to your
>> main system.  I did this recently with a stack of 5 160GB drives using
>> a free after rebate case, leftover boards and memory and buying a
>> SATA/IDE PCI board.  Ended up with software RAID 5, about 600GB of
>> iSCSI space that I mounted over to my Vista box for photo storage.
>
> For lower overhead you can use AoE instead of iSCSI if both machines are
> on the same LAN.

What's AoE?  I've not heard that before.

I've been reading up on iscsi and it sounds interesting....  Faster
throughput than NFS?  That would be cool.

Would a 700 MHz PIII be sufficient as a server for this?  I have one of
those handy.  And, could it be used for recordings with myth?  Are there
bandwidth issues?

--Yan

--
Windows is like a canary in a coal mine, it's the first thing to die on
your network.