[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR will not initially support Linux

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 15:11:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:56 AM, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Mark Hutchinson <mark at onnow.net> wrote:
>
> > David George wrote:
> > > I just received the following from Hauppauge on my query about Linux
> > > support:
> > >
> > > "Linux drivers will not be available for this product at the time of
> > > it's release.
> > > All Linux support for Hauppauge hardware is 3rd party, so in time,
> > there
> > > likely will be a Linux driver available from the Linux community like
> > most
> > > of the other Hauppauge products, but nothing in the short term."
> > >

> > That is quite unfortunate.  Perhaps is Hauppauge understood how many
> > addition units it would sell if they included Linux support.  Perhaps
> > they are not concerned about that.
> >

> No, I'd say Hauppauge knows that the Linux community will provide
> drivers.  So why should Hauppauge spend time/money making linux drivers
> themselves.  Furthermore Hauppauge knows that 3rd party linux drivers will
> be more stable, robust, well maintained, and documented then any driver
> Hauppauge has ever produced internally.
>

> --
> Ryan Patterson

This is exactly why i held off on the pre-order.  the page was vague from
the beginning.  I am sure we will get drivers but may take a month or so
then time to add it to Myth.  I would estimate now it will be ~3-4 months
before we have full MythTV integration and an updated STABLE build to
support it... smelling .21.1 tho. No big deal, i can wait.

Any one trying to cancel their pre-orders now?

Mitchell