[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR will not initially support Linux

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:56:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Mark Hutchinson <mark at onnow.net> wrote:

> David George wrote:
> > I just received the following from Hauppauge on my query about Linux
> > support:
> >
> > "Linux drivers will not be available for this product at the time of
> > it's release.
> > All Linux support for Hauppauge hardware is 3rd party, so in time, there
> > likely will be a Linux driver available from the Linux community like
> most
> > of the other Hauppauge products, but nothing in the short term."
> >

> That is quite unfortunate.  Perhaps is Hauppauge understood how many
> addition units it would sell if they included Linux support.  Perhaps
> they are not concerned about that.

No, I'd say Hauppauge knows that the Linux community will provide drivers.
So why should Hauppauge spend time/money making linux drivers themselves.
Furthermore Hauppauge knows that 3rd party linux drivers will be more
stable, robust, well maintained, and documented then any driver Hauppauge
has ever produced internally.