[mythtv-users] Embedded MythTV

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Apr 8 02:42:36 UTC 2008

Robert Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>
>>  The hard part is finding hardware beefy enough to run HD that can run
>>  embedded.  If I still end up with a big box with big fans, what's the
>>  point of putting the OS on flash....
>>

> Having a system that's locked to one particular purpose?
>
> Oh, wait, wrong crowd. :)

I guess my point is that most embedded systems run horribly outdated
software (by myth standards).  One system I developed and now do
consulting on uses a 2.4.21 kernel, and the owners have no plans to
upgrade.  So if you go through the pain of embedding a system, and give
up the easy upgradeability and a lockin to older kernels and OS, you
need to have a commensurate gain in something.

It would be nice, for example, to have a small shelftop system that
boots nearly instantly, uses little power, and can run HD.  I just don't
see a hardware platform that can do that on the market at anything
resembling the cost of a normal system.  I can possibly build a custom
system at 3 or 4 times the cost of a normal frontend, but I just don't
have the resources for that.

--
  o__

Help out my kids' school: http://www.seiner.com/blog/Travels/