[mythtv-users] Recording Using Guide on Sat Box without IR Blaster Installed

Jeff Clark jeff at vacantcanvas.com
Mon Apr 7 17:53:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM, <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:

> >> I have just set up my subscription to Schedules Direct and have ordered
> >> an
> >> IR Blaster and some other goodies to finish up my Myth plan.  Take note
> >> that I've been using various Myth releases for at least two years
> >> already
> >> so I'm used to how things are set up.  Up till now I've been managing
> >> all
> >> recordings manually.  My current release is SVN Version 0.21.20071211-1
> >> 15258.  I am using a Bell Expressvu Satellite 3100 Box (like DirecTV).
> >> For now I wanted to just use the scheduler in Myth to assist with
> >> recording at the right time and capturing show info.  I am manually
> >> programming the satellite box to auto-tune to the correct channel at
> the
> >> times associated with my recordings.  I've set up the tuner card in
> >> mythtv-setup to the channel 4 preset that I require (coax input).  I am
> >> able to watch live TV.  For some reason the recordings set up using the
> >> guide fail.  When I look in the channel editor it is populated with my
> >> proper list that is in Schedules Direct.  Does myth require something
> >> be in the field that is used by the IR Blaster to change the channels?
> >> have left this blank for now.
> >>
> >> Any theories?
> >> Scott
> >

> > Yes, you'll have to add something in the "external channel change
> script"
> > line depending on how you set your blaster up.
> >
> > I have no idea what that should actually be since I'm still working on
> > getting my blaster to work, but here's a guide that may help you if you
> > haven't seen it yet:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV
> >
> Actually the field you mentioned "external channel change script" is the
> one that I am leaving blank for now.  What I want to know is if I can make
> things work without the blaster and still take advantage of the schedule
> info to make the recording setup easier than doing it manually.  I am
> aware that I still need to adjust my satellite box manually.  Right now my
> recordings are failing and I don't know why.
>
> Scott

Gotcha.  You should be able to record without the blaster setup IF you set a
*manual* recording on channel 3 (or whatever your input channel is).  I
can't think of a way to use the guide besides purely informational reasons
since the tuner's going to try to change the channel to the correct channel.
I do this for hockey games and it seems to work as long as I've got the
times right.  Right now until your mythbox and the sat box can talk to each
other, it's basically an expensive VCR that can check the weather.

Jeff