[mythtv-users] MPEG-TS transcoding

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 14:46:48 UTC 2008

On 29/03/2008, Mike Loewen <mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Steve Smith wrote:
>
>  >> Mike Loewen wrote:
>  >> >     I recently added a HDHomeRun to my MythTV 0.21 setup.  It works fine,
>  >> > and will record (unencrypted) programs from my Comcast cable.  The problem
>  >> > I have is in trying to convert the resulting MPEG-TS files to a format
>  >> > suitable for burning to DVD (I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5).
>  >>

> > Mytharchive?!?! With ProjectX as well it does a perfect job on SD at
>  > least and there's no reason it won't do HD. ProjectX is specifically
>  > for demuxing TS streams with no loss of sync.
>

>     I've tried ProjectX to demux the streams, and without exception the
>  video (m2v) stream is jerky.  It's possible that there's a setting in
>  ProjectX that will make it work, but it seems to work for everyone else.
>  I did manage to get a good transcode with 'mencoder'.
>

>  Mike Loewen                             mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
>  Old Technology  http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

Hmm,

I'm very surprised ProjectX messed up, it's meant to be the bees.

Since your mythtranscoded PS files are OK ish you should start from there.

Maybe it's the resolution, if it's not a standard DVD resolution that
can mess things up.
Your DVD creation software will try to resize it to a suitable size.

Otherwise you could try using something like mencoder to remux the
file to something usefull.

However, I still say if the original file is SD then the Mytharchive
plugin should do the trick without resorting to any Windows spells.

Cheers

Steve