[mythtv-users] More new-system questions: Mmmm, cool.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 7 08:15:48 UTC 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 8:11 PM, stefan_jones at comcast.net wrote:
> Finally, the motherboard I ordered has an on-board nvidia GPU and
> nvidia chipset. To judge from the pictures of the motherboard, it
> has a heatsink for these. I read on the overclockers' site that some
> people buy extra fans. It is advisable to do that?

I'd be a little skeptical about what I read on an "overclocker's"
site. Some of them have good info but many are collections of gamers
trying to prove who has the bigger something or other (ego, budget or
anatomical feature).

Myth systems are generally not pushed very hard, are rarely
overclocked and have minimal requirements for video hardware. Note
that the "gold standard" for Myth video cards (an nVidia 5200) is a
decade-old design.

Overclocked CPUs, SLI video setups and extreme cooling measures belong
to gaming rigs. Myth users are often more prone to trying to slow down
CPUs to reduce noise and minimize the profile of their machines, not
maximize it.

Most cases take in air from the front and exhaust it out the back.
Fans may be used at either or both ends of this operation. Larger fans
tend to be quieter as they rotate at slower speeds for the same
airflow as smaller ones.

beww