[mythtv-users] Unreasonably high CPU usage when playing HD content? Suggestions?

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 18:57:40 UTC 2008

Jason Keirstead wrote:
> Hi. No it is a "modern" one as I posted - a dual core AMD X2 6400
> running at 3.2 Ghz. It should have absolutely no problem playing h.264
> HD content- and thi sis not even that.
>
> I think it is the ATi video drivers myself. I am just wondering if
> anyone can verify this before I go buy a new card. Are the fglrx AVIVO
> drivers really THIS bad?

Even though ATI doesn't do XVMC, you still need at least XV or you will
get 100% cpu usage. Better check that. That cpu should certainly be able
to do 1080i, and probably will stay clocked low when displaying 720p.
If you're outputting via VGA or DVI, I found the "radeon" driver works
fine; only used fglrx for TV out.