[mythtv-users] How to map digital channels from hdhomerun to recordable HD channels in channel guide?

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Sun Apr 6 14:37:42 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Marc MERLIN wrote:

>> Unfortunately, the channels from
>> http://www.schedulesdirect.org/lineups/edit/CA04931:X
>> don't match the channel numbers I get from hdhomerun, namely:
>> 2.1 = KTVU/CVS
>> 4.2 = KRON/NBC
>> 5.1 = KPIX/CBS
>> 7.1 = KGO/ABC
>> 9.1 = KQED
>> 10.1 = KTEH
>> 11.1 = NBC 11
>>
>> vs some numbering which I guess is used on comcast cable boxes (3 digit
>> channel numbers, no dots)

> Channel numbers are irrelevant (they are just cosmetic and can be
> anything). The xmltvid is the important piece which is usually lined up
> automagically with the callsign. I don't have cable so I can't help
> specifically with that, but this info should help get you closer.

Marc,
Brad is right, the XMLTV IDs are the important part. You very likely may
have to edit those channels by hand (not too hard). I find the easiest
way for me is to go to Live TV, watch each channel and edit them from
there. For example, for your first one, KTVU: watch that channel. Hit
'E'. Go down to the field that says XMLTV ID (it probably just says
SchedulesDirect lineup website and try to find that channel in your
listings (like you said the channel numbers are all wacky). Hover over
the correct one with the mouse; the tooltip that pops up will say
something like 'KTVU: 12345' ...take that number and put it in the XMLTV
ID field in LiveTV. Once you've done this for all those channels you'll
need to update your listings by running mythfilldatabase. That should be
it. You can always change the channel numbers to what you think makes
most sense. Comcast here keeps all the OTA channel numbers with their
digital channels, too (e.g., I can get FOX here OTA as channel 25...
Comcast maps it as 25.1 ...but also has their own version 825; silly). I
personally change them to what they're supposed to be over cable (so 825
instead of 25.1) just for some kind of consistency.

Cheers,
Jesse