[mythtv-users] Unreasonably high CPU usage when playing HD content? Suggestions?

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Sun Apr 6 12:58:23 UTC 2008

Hi all. I have recently built from scratch a new system for play myth SD and
HD content frmo a DVB-S source.

The system is a dual core AMD Athlon64 6400 @ 3.2 ghz, with 2 GB RAM, ATI
690G chipset.

The system seems to work great for playing SD content, which it can due
utilizing around 20% of one CPU.

But to my surprise it can't seem to handle HD content. No matter what
decoder or deinterlacer I select, I get up to 95%-100% CPU, and the system
starts choking.

Now, tome, this seems crazy. I know in Windows this system can handle
playing 20 Mbps HD content without a hiccup. So my questions:

- Is this CPU even enough for playing back DVB-S HD content? It should be I
would think

- Are there any compile flags you can pass to ./configure that would
significantly impact anything?

- When you are in mythtv-setup, there is an option to set the max CPUs for
decoding, yet AFAIK myth only EVER uses one cpu. Is there some special
compile option or codec I need to choose to allow for multi CPU decoding?
50% of each core would be much better than 100% of one.

- Could my bottleneck actually be the ATI video card, which I know already
has some tearing issues? 'top' is reporting mythfrontend consuming all the
CPU, not X.

--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is.

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut