[mythtv-users] A MythTV backup proposal

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Sat Apr 5 15:57:34 UTC 2008

Here are my two cron entries that I use:
0 4 * * * nice /usr/bin/mysqldump -c -a -u root mythconverg >
/usbd/backup/mythsql_fc7.dump
30 4 * * * nice rsync -rlptg --delete /shome/mythtv /usbd/shome

The first backs up the database at 4:00AM every morning and the second
backs up my recordings at 4:30.  I have yet to exploit the
multi-directory capabilities of 0.21 which simplifies the backup a bit
since all my recordings are on one lvm (/shome).  The /usbd is (guess?)
an external terabyte USB drive.  VERY cost effective now days.  You can
even get them with dual hardware RAID drives, but I thought that would
be a bit overkill.  My OS is on RAID1 over two partitions on separate
SATA drives, the rest of which make up the LVM.  If my MB/PS fries
record capability is gone but I can still watch recordings by taking the
USB drive to another FE system and playing the files with mplayer.

DaveD.