[mythtv-users] MythTV for iPhone

Chris Carey chris.carey at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 15:56:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Skitals <hondacrxsi at gmail.com> wrote:

>  So this will be a webapp, running on the webserver of the backend? I
>  personally prefer native apps, though  a network connection would be
>  required to run either way. Good luck to both of you!

Native apps are, in general, better than web apps in many ways.
However, the end result here is to watch a TV show. I believe the
quality and effectiveness of streaming the show would be identical on
both apps. The difference would be in the menu system and other
features ofered
(recording options, deleting shows, etc). If he is able to get a full
blown MythFrontend running on the phone that would be a great
accomplishment. We have yet to see if the streaming of the show within
MythFrontend is possible. AFAIK, quicktime has some hardware
accelerated video playback features, so it is the preferred app on the
iPhone for video playback. This is what my web-frontend is using.  I
have yet to see video playback on an iPhone/iTouch that is not inside
Quicktime or the iPod video area. I'm excited to see what he comes up
with.
--
Chris Carey