[mythtv-users] A MythTV backup proposal

David Segall david at segall.net
Sat Apr 5 15:48:15 UTC 2008

Mitch Gore wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:41 AM, David Segall <david at segall.net
> <mailto:david at segall.net>> wrote:
>
>     I recently posted on the subject of MythTV backup
>     <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/327389#327389> and
>     received responses advocating everything from enterprise level backup
>     and servers to "it's only TV".  I found the former too expensive and the
>     latter barely credible from anyone who expends the effort maintaining a
>     MythTV system and following this mailing list.
>
>     The backup of operating system and database data is assumed and well
>     covered in the MythTV Wiki. I want to ensure that my backup also
>     includes recorded TV to the extent I can afford. I would like a script
>     that copies the recorded TV using the available backup space and
>     following exactly the same rules as my MythTV setup would use if it had
>     the same amount of space. That implies that if a program has been
>     deleted it would also be deleted from the backup. I would probably also
>     want to exclude some news programs that I only record in case something
>     interesting happens.
>
>     I would be interested in your opinions. For example, would you change
>     MythTV's expiry rules if you had substantially more, or less, disk
>     space?
>
>     --
>     David

> Look at rsync.  You could set up a cron job to sync the two
> folders/drives every hour or two.
That would work well if my backup disk space was about the same size as
my MythTV disk space. However, I can only afford a certain total amount
of disk space and I need to trade the amount of space I would like to
have for my live MythTV against the space I would need if the live
MythTV failed. My current feeling is that I am prepared to loose about
90% of my recorded programs rather than devote 50% of the available
space to duplicating the recorded programs in case of the, relatively
small, chance that the live MythTV drive(s) fail. That is why I proposed
a backup that weighted the value of the backed up recordings rather than
use rsync that treats all the files equally.
--
David