[mythtv-users] HD PVR: What does "13.5 Mbps" mean?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 15:47:39 UTC 2008

> I would also like to know, once we get Linux drivers, how beefy of a CPU is
> required.  The specs from Hauppauge says a dual core but in Windows can get
> away with lower CPU as it does video card offload.  What will be a
> requirement for this?  Are the apple video 1080p trailers comparable?   I'm
> just hoping my AMD X2 5700 (dual core 2.7ghz) will be able to keep up.

The apple video trailers are somewhat comparable, but they aren't
"maximum" so it isn't a good means of testing out the theoretical
maximum your system can do.

> One huge disadvantage of this devices (thanks to nvidia) is our miniumum CPU
> requirements will go up AGAIN!  Unless Nvidia ever blesses up with h.246
> offload in XvMC.
>
> Mitchell

This is really why it's so nice (and very important) to keep your eye
on Intel.  They are working on this type of acceleration with their
integrated chipsets.  We will have an open-source vendor creating open
source drivers that work with our new h.264 media; that is better than
just about anything Nvidia can currently offer me.

-Chad