[mythtv-users] Preferred interface for HDTV?

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Thu Apr 3 23:26:53 UTC 2008

I'm planning a new MythBox. I really don't want to spend a bundle on a does-everything system; I'll pay more for a good processor and fast memory and good drives, but not (for example) an SLI-capable motherboard.

One of the MBs I'm looking at has a GeForce 7050 built in chipset built in . . . but only a VGA output.

Now, right now my old MythBox is connected to my 780p Samsung HDTV with VGA. The FX 5200 knows it's a big LCD and set the Linux desktop screen resolution to 12?? x 768 (don't have the machine on right now) and it looks just great, as far as I'm concerned. But so far I haven't streamed HD (I can't . . . the processor won't really handle it.)

My question is . . . will I be able to stream 780p video to the set via an VGA interface? Should I spend more and get a faster nVidia card with DVI outputs?

--
http://home.comcast.net/~stefan_jones