[mythtv-users] HD capture card

Kevin Hill khill at vnetwork.com
Thu Apr 3 13:20:19 UTC 2008

Dave Alden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 04:31:03PM -0500, Mitch Gore wrote:
>>> As long as they get to you before Feb 2009, what's their rush? :)
>>>
>> To take advantage of the better quality of digital.  My analog are all snowy
>> but digital with the same antenna they are 100% strength.
>
> Isn't it true that what you're going to get is a letterboxed HD signal on
> your analog tv?  I wonder how many folks are going to be unhappy that they
> are losing a couple of inches off their tv.  :-)

Just FYI :),
I picked up my gov't subsidized Magnavox digital converter this week,
since it was only $9 with coupon, and it actually has a pretty decent
zoom mode that makes both 16:9 and 3:4 acceptable (for a tv that still
has round corners anyway).

It is a shame that they don't pick up on the aspect ratio and show 4:3
content full screen even if you ask for 16:9 to be letterboxed. Watching
4:3 content in a little box in the middle of the screen is just silly...

Anyway, I was just so impressed with the sensitivity compared to my old
HDdirectivo's OTA receiver I had to mention it :) I can even watch
channel 2.1 from Chicago from 40 miles away...

-kevin