[mythtv-users] Video studder XvMC w/OSD

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 03:11:12 UTC 2008

W.Kenworthy wrote:
>> If it were, cpufreq would be speeding things up, and that is a fairly old cpu,
>> and it pre-dates Intel putting speedstep on their desktop cpus, they only did
>> that very recently, and that cpu is not even a 64-bit capable cpu.
>>
>> And note that all of the p4 cpus that have speedstep have 2048mb of cache, he
>> has only 1024mb, so and all with speedstep also have 64 bit, and cpuinfo shows
>> that the processor is not capable of 64bit.
>>
>>                                    Roger
>>
>> yes and no: look for p4 clockmod in your modules.
>
> yes and no
>
> 1.6Ghz P4 (not just old, but ancient) running at 400Mhz
>
> grep /usr/src/linux/.config: CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=y
>

> myth4 ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 1
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 400.000
> cache size      : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pebs bts
> sync_rdtsc
> bogomips        : 3231.64
> clflush size    : 64

Interesting.

Fedora 8 has that module, but does not automatically load it.

And interestingly setting the speed down to 400mhz on an Idle system does not
change the measured power consumption, doing the same thing on an AMD powernow
system (and I assume a actual Intel Speedstep) does lower the power used at
idle.   Setting it down to 400 on a non-idle system does lower the power
consumption as I would expect since it is now working slower.

And notice that using that module does not change the bogomips on the system,
were on an AMD powernow system it will change the bogomips.

                                                 Roger