[mythtv-users] Streaming better than NFS

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Apr 3 02:00:23 UTC 2008

Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> says:
> The myth network connection has to be more efficient [than NFS]
> unless we are doing something wrong.

I've used CIFS, not NFS, since the beginning, because I've found the
former to be far faster (one of my first posts,
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/169825#169825>,
here was on this topic) and much, much more stable than the
latter.

That said, since moving to a topology a while back in which the master
backend is a separate box from the frontend (and, often, the
database), I noticed that many recordings would take several seconds
to "spool up" before playback began. Forcing the myth protocol to
always be used--a feature I hadn't used before--seems to have nicely
eliminated this pause.

I'm curious; why not enable this setting by default?

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array