[mythtv-users] PVR500 Tuning

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 2 21:06:58 UTC 2008

Conrad wrote:
> I have a PVR500, connected to a dish receiver, in my Mythbuntu box and I
> am unable to get anything on the second tuner /dev/video1.  I've
> tried to record a test vid file and all I get is a black screen.
> Tuner does not seem to work at all so I am using (have used) the
> following input connections so far:
> a)
>
>     * /dev/video0 --> composite 1
>     * /dev/video1 --> s-video 2
>
> b)
>
>     * /dev/video0 --> composite 1
>     * /dev/video1 --> s-video 1
>
> c)
>
>     * /dev/video0 --> composite 1
>     * /dev/video1 --> composite 2
>
> In addition I am unable to effectively change the channel on either
> inputs from the console using ivtv-tune.  I seem to be stuck on whatever
> channel the dish receiver is on.
>
> Any insight.
>
> Thanks.

Yeah. You're doing it all wrong. ;)

The only tuning your PVR-500 card can do is on the tuner. Meaning, the
RF connection (coax cable). The ivtv calls this connection "tuner"
followed by a number representing which tuner (there are 2 on your card).

That means changing a channel (ie "tuning") cannot happen on the svideo
or composite connections since there is no such thing as tuning on
something that's not a tuner. :)

So if I understand you correctly, you have a dish receiver and are going
from s-video on your dish to svideo on your pvr-500 card. This means
that you need some means of changing the channel on the dish receiver.
Either an ir blaster or serial connection (not sure if dish can use
serial. I use DirecTV which can do this.) Then you need a script that
will tell that channel-changing device to change the channel on the dish
box. You should check the wiki for ways to change channels on dish
receivers. Your search should show you some hardware options as well as
channel changing scripts.

Also note that in order to use the second s-video port on the pvr-500,
you need to use the included breakout panel that has the second s-video
connector on it.

As far as composite goes, I would avoid it since svideo is better
quality and you have it available to you so you might as well use it.

-Brad