[mythtv-users] Streaming better than NFS

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:03:10 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Roger Heflin wrote:
>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>> I have good luck with these settings:
>>> intr,soft,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,nfsvers=3,tcp
>>>
>>> I also have gigabit ethernet with jumbo frames, so I'm not sure what it
>>> would do on a network without that.
>>>
>>> -Brad
>>>
>> soft is never a good idea, if anything goes wrong on your network the
>> application will be given an IO error and data *WILL* be lost, it is much better
>> to hang and not lose any data.
>
> I would rather lose data than hang. Maybe that's just me.

By lose data, it will likely cause mythbackend to receive an IO error, and if it
does not have code to deal with that (I don't know if it does) it will may abort
and crash, and just stop recording anything until someone manually intervenes to
restart the backend.

Also, you will only get a hang if your NFS server is down, or if the network to
it is down, you can get an IO error and an abort if your network has issues (too
busy, network switch restart), were as with hard it will retry and go on like
nothing happened-once the issue goes away, and the hang will only be the
applications that are accessing the NFS partition, and only if there is a very
bad event around the NFS server.

And note if the application does not do error checking you will lose data and
you may not know it until you try to read the file.

I would much rather hang than silently lose data.

                           Roger