[mythtv-users] The Fit-PC: Too low-end for HD?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed Apr 2 17:14:36 UTC 2008

>You mean to say that a 900mhz celeron M processor can do HD? I find
>that very hard to believe
>-Steve

I've been doing some tests on the AppleTV under Linux using standard
generic build of mplayer. The AppleTV has a 1GHz pentium-m, nvidia
7300 chipset, and 256MB of RAM for basic specs.

mplayer -vo xv  	-> 720p mpeg2 is fine
mplayer -vo xv		-> 1080i mpeg2 is fine but very close to
max'ing the cpu

mplayer -vo xvmc	-> 720p/1080i are fine, plenty of cpu headroom.

So given a 900MHz celeron (much smaller L2 cache, little slower
clock) I'd say it could do 720p but not 1080i with Xv and most likely
both 720p and 1080i if XvMC can be used.