[mythtv-users] TheSniderPad.com Mac build + network LIRC problems

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 16:01:11 UTC 2008

>  > Something I'm looking into (since my electronics skills are completely
>  > non-existent - I actually bought my serial homebrew receiver from
>  > eBay) is a Sony Bluetooth remote for my Mac frontend. This isn't
>  > supported by lircd on the Mac either, but it does work with a great
>  > piece of Mac pay-ware called Remote Buddy.
>  >

>  I bought a copy a while ago, and keep suggesting that they support the
>  MCE Remote (since they support the receiver). But so far no luck.

Something I mentioned on the other Mac/Lirc thread - yes, the number
of buttons on mac-supported (via remote buddy) remotes is very
limiting for use with mythtv.  But I have overcome this using an IR
learning remote and multiple instances of the apple 6-button remote,
mapping them to buttons on a learning remote.  I used a Harmony 550
that I picked up used for $30.  The procedure is described here:
http://funwithcomputers.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/using-the-harmony-880-remote-with-your-macs-built-in-ir-port/
(the 550 uses the same mac-compatible software as the 880)
I've been very pleased with the results.

Seems if you are already using remote buddy, you're half way there...