[mythtv-users] MythTV backup

Sam Jacobs samlists at ijacobs.co.uk
Wed Apr 2 15:09:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:38 PM, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:
>  So what happens if your motherboard is fried by a power supply failure
>  which was my fear yesterday? I thought that the disk drives would
>  probably be OK but I knew that I could not find an exact replacement for
>   the motherboard and I feared that I would need to do a complete
>  reinstall of the OS. I was not confidant that a reinstall could preserve
>  the existing data. I also needed to provide a TV set to watch tonight's
>  TV programs.
>  --
>  David

Just thought I'd chime in - I've starred this thread because although
backup isn't important to me at the moment, it's good to know about
how to do it properly.

Anyway, I know from experience that Linux isn't nearly as sensitive to
hardware changes as e.g. Windows. I once had to take the drives out of
an Athlon XP box and put them into an ancient Pentium 2 based box, and
the only things that didn't work were those that I'd complied
specifically for the Athlon. I did make sure I had a generic x86
kernel installed first - because as long as you can get to a shell you
can work your way back up from there.

You shouldn't have any problems at all if the only things that are
different are the motherboard and PSU.

Sam

--
Sam Jacobs on MythTV 0.21, UK Freeview, EIT-only EPG
mythbox: BE+FE, Mythbuntu 8.04, Athlon XP2000+ at 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM,