[mythtv-users] MythTV backup

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 14:06:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:57 AM, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:
> Yesterday I thought I might have lost all my MythTV data. Fortunately,
>  the fix was simple but it made me wonder how I could protect my set up
>  from catastrophic failure.
>
>  Operating a redundant fall back computer seems like overkill for this
>  application but I don't see any other solution to ensuring that MythTV
>  satisfies the SOAF [1] factor.
>
>  How do you ensure that your fried MythTV can be restored in time for the
>  nightly news and you have not lost the latest episode of the unmissable
>  series that screened last night when you were out?

I have the os disks on raid 5 (although I am eventually going to
remove that so I can spin down the disks to save power). And I have a
cron job that makes a backup of the mysql database each night to yet
another disk (not part of the raid). Every once and a while I email
myself that file to my 6.5GB gmail account.

John