[mythtv-users] Streaming better than NFS

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Wed Apr 2 03:12:11 UTC 2008

Playing this weekend, I found the AlwaysStreamFiles setting, and even tho my
FE has the single filesystem NFS always mounted, I decided to try it.  Partly,
because I felt it might transfer some cpu load to the BE, and the files are
all local on the BE.

I found skipping, FF to be much more responsive than with NFS.  Overall
FE cpu load was also lower.  Very little jitter after a FF that used to happen
for a few seconds while it cached up the new location.

In my environment my BE machine has numerous CPU cycles to spare
(dual Opteron 275 dual core with 4GB ram).  Compared to the FE being
a 1400-P3, that needs to play all HD content with XvMC.  1Gb networking
all around.

The FE also has a couple tuner slave cards that are occasionally used
and the writes are using the NFS mount.

Just thought it was interesting, and people may want to try it for themselves.

Brian