[mythtv-users] database size

Frank Lynch frank.lynch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 02:14:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 04/01/2008 09:53 PM, Frank Lynch wrote:
> > I've been running mythtv happily for a couple of years, tonight I
> > decided to upgrade to 0.21 & migrate from Fedora Core 4 to ubuntu
> > gutsy. All appears to be going well at the moment.
> > However during the process I backedup my db & noticed that its a
> > whopping 2.2GB!
>
> By what measure?  Looking at the binary files?  Looking at the size of
> the backup?  Basically, it sounds large, but I want to verify that
> you're using some appropriate means of measuring the size.

the 2.2GB file is the output from mysqldump for mythconverg before I gzip'd
it. It compresses down to ~200 mb.

> > Is this normal?
> > I have recently noticed that mysql was consuming quite a bit of cpu
> > time (even occasionally causing hd playback to stutter - its a
> > combined frontent/backend single-box setup). I was hoping that the
> > move off FC4 to Gutsy might help, but now I'm starting to wonder about
> > the sheer size of the db. Has anyone encountered an issue like this
> > before? Is there any way to reduce or prune the mythconverg db a little?
>

> Were you running with EIT only as your source for listings and not
> running mythfilldatabase?

I was running mythfilldatabase via cron for the longest time, then around
the time of the switchover to schedules direct I enabled the "allow myth to
run mythfilldatabase by itself" option in the frontend.

> If so, that could be the reason it's large.
> If so, don't worry, it will get a lot smaller sometime tomorrow, now
> that you've upgraded to 0.21.

> Regardless, now that you're on 0.21, all of the cleanup that's safe to
> do will be done automatically.
>
> Mike

awesome, thanks for the info Mike. I'll hold off on dropping tables &
creating trouble for myself :-)
thanks,
--Frank