[mythtv-users] OT: questions about FireWire

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Tue Apr 1 21:56:00 UTC 2008

I subscribe to a digital cable service through my cable TV
service (Cox cable), and I recently had them give me a
set-top box with HD capability.  The box appears to have
two FireWire IEEE-1394 ports, but I admit to being a
complete newbie to FireWire.  I haven't yet even gotten a
FireWire card for the computer yet.

My biggest question is, the FireWire ports on the cable box
appear to be host-side ports.  From what I have been
able to gather, FW uses different connectors for host and
client, like USB. The ports on the box appear to be the
bigger host-side ports, and not the smaller client-side
ports.  So how would I use this with my PC?  All FW cables
I've looked at have the bigger host-side connector on one
end and the smaller client-side connector on the other.

BTW, this thing is a Motorola DCH3200, if that helps.

As an aside, I noticed that this unit also has an ethernet
port.  Anyone know what it would do if I work to connect
this thing to my router?