[mythtv-users] Can only view some HD channels over

Daniel Arfsten darfsten at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 19:18:14 UTC 2008

trimmed
>  >
>  >  This isn't necessarily an clear QAM issue - it's more than likely a 5C
>  >  encryption issue.  *Knock on wood* I get plenty of channels over
>  >  firewire that aren't 5C encrypted that I can't get through my
>  >  HDHomerun.  You may want to check the cable box settings to check the
>  >  5C settings per channel.
>
>  side note: currently the only channels sending 5C != 0 signal are the
>  movie channels(HBO, Showtime, etc), so you should be able to get all
>  the regular digital cable channels over firewire. PPV and the On
>  Demand stuff all have 5C set by the cable company so those will likely
>  be set to 2 or 3. If your cable company is changing the 5C signal of
>  the channels, I believe it is illegal and you should ask them nicely
>  to stop, and then read
>  http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2007-February/168117.html

You can't just make this global statement. I have a SA3250HD cable box from
Time Warner in Milwaukee, WI and most all my stuff is 5C protected. I can only
get my local HD channels. I tried for the longest time to get my firewire
working but I could never figure out how to use my 1 Digital Cable lineup from
schedulesdirect so that only those few stations that firewire could record
would be associated to that firewire capture device, and then all cable
channels would be associated to the s-video in on my PVR-350 capture device.
Maybe it got easier with 21 but I am still on 20.2-fixes on Feisty Fawn.
For now I am content with capturing the HD source over s-video, I don't care
that it's downsampled. Saves me space at least and allows me to record
HBO and ALL channels I pay for!!!! Where as you don't get that over firewire.