[mythtv-users] Using a large satellite dish (8-10 feet) with MythTV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 1 16:38:25 UTC 2008

On Apr 1, 2008, at 10:09 AM, Chad wrote:

> That's too bad.  I'm really not interested in more than a maximum of 5
> channels available from any given provider today aside from broadcast
> channels which I get with my OTA setup.  Any "package" gives me
> significantly more than 5 channels and typically the lowest package
> available doesn't include all 5 channels I want.  Instead I have to
> subscribe to a minimum of 100 channels on DISH or 150 channels on
> DirecTV or (not sure how many, but extremely costly) the highest
> package from my cable provider just to get the 5 channels I want.
> After reading a bit about C-Band stuff and the article listed above
> (or below maybe depending on your reader) I was really hoping I could
> setup something with the providers themselves and bypass the middleman
> to get just my 5 channels for assumingly a massive upfront cost of
> materials but a mediocre cost of maintaining the service (a monthly
> fee of maybe a buck a channel).

I suppose you could theoretically go directly to each program supplier
and negotiate an individual deal, but I suspect they would simply
direct you to the "regular suspects".

Why would they want to sell their products for less money and thus
hack off their biggest customers (the cable and satellite operators).

TANSTAAFL, with TV channels as in life in general.

beww