[mythtv-users] Using a large satellite dish (8-10 feet) with MythTV?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Apr 1 14:35:33 UTC 2008

> That was probably this:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2004/pulpit_20040930_000460.html

I found that article interesting for a reason totally separate from
the original thread topic:

Andrew's server runs Myth TV, an Open Source digital video recorder
application, storing on disk in MPEG-4 format (1.5-2
megabits-per-second) more than 30,000 TV episodes, movies and MP3
music files. "As each new user comes online, I add another TV card to
the system so they can watch live TV," says Andrew, "but since there
are only so many episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants, nearly everything
that isn't news or sports is typically served from disk with full
ability to jump forward or back at will. We've reached the point now
where the PVR has so much in storage already that it is set to simply
record anything that isn't already on disk.

Think about it. These folks up in Canada can not only watch everything
we can watch on TV, on a whim they can watch every episode of the
original Star Trek in the order they were broadcast ALL ON ONE
WEEKEND. I wouldn't do that, true, but I also CAN'T do that.