[mythtv-users] HD capture card

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Tue Apr 1 10:53:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:50:46AM -0600, Mike Diehl wrote:
> It looks like its time to buy a HD tuner card.  It would be nice if I could
> find one that was Myth compatable and qualified for the $40 rebate.  Any
> suggestions?

If you are thinking that the FCC basic-tuner coupons are valid
on anything interesting to an HD MythTV user, you would be wrong.

The qualified tuners are all:
(a) external set top boxes
(b) with no HD output, just SD
(c) and no digital output
(d) and no QAM tuner, just 8VSB OTA.

They really are suitable for adapting a POTV (plain old
television) to receive whatever over-the-air HD signals are
available, and nothing else.

If that's what you want, you can hook one up to an SD tuner
card, but you'll get better results buying an HD tuner like the
HDHomeRun.

-dsr-

--
Restore our Constitutional rights.