[mythtv-users] UPnP not working, PS3 and other clients - SOLUTION

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Apr 1 05:06:22 UTC 2008

If you're trying to access MythTV using a UPnP client such as the PS3
and it's not working - and MythTV is running on a system with more than
one network interface, read this message.

When you start the mythbackend service, it sends out a UPnP
notification. This notification is sent to the multicast network
addresses. If the Myth server has multiple network interfaces, it could
be that the UPnP notification is sent to a network interface other than
the one connected to your UPnP client (such as the PS3).

Let's say your PS3 is hooked up to the eth0 interface on the mythbackend
machine, but eth1 is the one with the default route. In that case, the
UPnP notifications will be sent to eth1, and the PS3 will not detect the
UPnP MythTV server.

The solution? Add a route on eth0 for the multicast addresses:

route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev eth0

Now restart mythbackend. It will show up in the PS3 in a few seconds.

Please note that if you use other applications with multicast, they may
stop working. But almost nobody uses multicast on the Internet (?) so
you should be fine.

This thing actually happened to me, and I couldn't figure out why the
PS3 could not see mythbackend, until I run a sniffer on the various
interfaces, and noticed that the UPnP notifications were being sent to
the Internet instead of the private network. :-/

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/