[mythtv-users] Using a large satellite dish (8-10 feet) with MythTV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 1 04:03:33 UTC 2008

On Mar 31, 2008, at 9:25 PM, Chad wrote:

> Much appreciated.  Assuming I can somehow figure out where to get the
> hardware, how to hook it up, get some receivers that play well and
> have some decent output...  Any idea on how you then go about signing
> up for per-channel subscriptions directly with the channels?  I read a
> story about this person in Canada that did just that, instead of
> paying the cable-co/sat provider, they setup a contract themselves for
> about  $0.40 / channel.  From there, how do people who use this route
> get program guide information?

C-Band satellite subscriptions are available from outfits like
SkyVision in the USA. Your receivers will have integrated descramblers
and you will need to provide the address codes to your provider.

You will find a lot of programming "packaged" just like cable and DBS
satellite, the "Denver 8" is an example.

At least in the USA I don't really see any advantage to using a C Band
dish, unless you want/need some specific source not available
elsewhere. It will ultimately be more expensive and probably more
hassle than traditional alternatives.

You can find a lot of interesting stuff on C band though, including
backhauls of sporting events and corporate stuff, and of course a lot
of religious broadcasting.

beww