[mythtv-users] Would this video card work for HD content?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 01:54:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Brian Wallen <bwallen at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I'm looking to upgrade my frontend/backend machine to handle HD. Would
>  >  this card work well enough? Would its HDMI port also output audio?
>  >  What is the preferred method of outputting HD content in Myth?
>  >
>  >  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261002
>
>  (1)  It'd be serious overkill, IMHO.
>  (2)  No, not yet.

Actually, it would work. All it does is take an SPDIF signal from
somewhere (On-board sound, for instance) and sends that over the HDMI
cable. It has no sound codec on-board, and so no need for sound
drivers.

However, finding a board that has an available SPDIF out, making use
of it in ALSA, and getting a cable to connect the SPDIF out to the
SPDIF in on the card you mentioned, would all be "Interesting"
"Challenges".

>  (3)  I like cheap, fanless nVidia card sending the video over DVI.

Indeed. Cheap and fanless is the best way to go for HTPCs. You gain
nothing having such an overspecced card as that.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston