[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Sep 30 21:10:06 UTC 2007

R. G. Newbury wrote:

> I have not seen a remotely controlled coax switch at Radio Shack (now
> The Source in Canada). The idea of using an A/V receiver as a switch is
> an interesting one...but I cannot recall seeing any such receivers with
> a coax input, not that I have been looking. The 'youngest' of my stereo
> receivers is at least 25 years old now! In fact, the physical switches
> on the one at work are failing so I have to control it with the remote!
> Maybe it *is* time for a new receiver...

You're not likely to see such a device at RS. What you want (maybe) is
called a coaxial relay, they can be found at:

http://www.rfparts.com/coaxial.html

http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFrontProfiles/deluxeSFshop.aspx?sid=1&sfid=86409&c=21908

And other sources. You would have to rig up a power supply for the relay
coil, and probably adapt the connectors from N or BNC to F.

This might be more money and trouble than you are looking for though.

beww