[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 14:06:59 UTC 2007

> Jon Boehm wrote:
> > This might be helpful.
> >
> > http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/info/splitters
>
> This seems to be rating the input-to-output loss only.
>
> In fact, devices with higher losses often have better return loss,
> flatness, isolation, frequency response and other specifications.
> Achieving these desirable characteristics always comes at a price, and
> signal is about the only thing a passive device has to sacrifice.
>
> As long as you have sufficient signal, the loss spec. can in fact be the
> least important of them all.
>
> I also note that "Monster" devices carry a very large price premium, as
> usual.

There seems to be a lot of good knowledge on signals on this thread.
I hope maybe someone can give me a good answer on this.

I'm reconfiguring the layout of a bunch of things at my house,
post-remodel, and I'm trying to determine the best way to split the
coax signal among the various destinations.  From the ONT in the
basement (I have fiber), the signal has to be split for 6
destinations:

1. A180 in MythBE computer
2. Verizon router (for injecting program data for the STB, I believe)
3. STB
4. PVR-500 in MythFE computer
5. TVs upstairs (this further gets split in attic to go to various
rooms).  This will only be used until I have time to put in additional
frontends.
6. Kitchen outlet - not sure if this will ever get used, so it could
be omitted for now.

I'm thinking I want the fewest splits in the paths for the Myth
connections, right?  Would it make more sense to have a 4-way splitter
in the basement, the outputs of which go to MythBE, router, upstairs
rooms, and family room (where the FE and STB are, so there will be one
more 2-way split there).  Or would it be better to have a 3-way split
going to MythBE, family room, and the third leg would go to a 2-way
splitter that goes to router and upstairs?  Or some other
configuration?

Thanks,
Jerry