[mythtv-users] Video quality?

Dan Harper dan at kingdomsolutions.com.au
Sun Sep 30 03:38:34 UTC 2007

On 30/09/2007, at 12:52 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> Dan Harper wrote:
>> On 29/09/2007, at 10:05 PM, Piers Kittel wrote:
>>> What I would see is very very slight
>>> jerking in between frames - it's not totally smooth, I can see very
>>> slight jumps when it transitions in between frames.
>>
>> I get this also, so I'd love to know how to fix it.
>
> The first question would be what sort of hardware are you using? Both
> CPU and Video?

I have a IBM Thinkpad R51.  ATI Radeon 9200M video using standard ati
X.org drivers.  The binary ATI driver no longer supports this card,
so I'm SOL on that one (*sarcasm* yeah, like, it's an ancient 3 years
old! */sarcasm*.  The IT world sucks sometimes).

I have a 20" Viewsonic LCD on the external VGA port.  Xinerama to get
the MythTV GUI on the external screen.

The CPU is a Pentium M 1.6Ghz

I too notice a slight improvement when switching off deinterlacing,
so is the problem due to the deinterlacing algorithms?

I also see some nasty artifacts after transcoding and having kernel
deinterlacing switched on, particularly for high contrast movement on
the screen (Futurama and The Simpsons look particularly nasty due to
the high contrast movement caused by the black outlines of the
characters).

CPU is cruising when playing back, probably max at around 50-60%.

Dan