[mythtv-users] Amarok and mythmusic

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 17:40:28 UTC 2007

Pamela Jaye Ashworth wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2007 at 12:46, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> I've been playing with amarok <http://amarok.kde.org/>.  It's by far
>> the slickest music player so far.
>>
>> So....  I'll offer some beer-and-pizza for anyone who will make an
>> amarok plugin for myth.
>
> I've tried the one on my machine and it just tells me it won't play
> mp3s. mythmusic would be less unwieldy if I were using a real
> keyboard, screen, and mouse -
> but what I really need is MythAlarm :-)  I'm still using ClockTalk
> and musicmatch on my emachine to wake me up and one of these days,
> that machine is going to die.....
>
> the only other player on my mythmachine that works is RealPlayer, and
> I can't seem to find an alarm program to start it. (or whatever
> amarok needs to play mp3s and *then* whether it will start at a
> certain time. ) I'm a bit picky in my "wake to music" tastes - when I
> was a teenager  I had one of those clocks with a socket in the back
> and I plugged in my stereo and put the needle on an LP.

If you are not adverse to spending a chunk of money and have an
amplifier/speaker setup in the bedroom, I've been known to recommend the
SqueezeBox. It has a most excellent selection of alarm clock plugins and
can even be used to turn your amp on and off via an lirc-driven blaster.

The high cost (us $300) seems to be a putoff to most people but if you
have really good ears and a discerning taste for quality, the makers
stuck an awesome Burr-Brown D/A decoder in it. It is superior to the one
in my low-cost Denon receiver so I just use the analog inputs and enjoy.

--
mw