[mythtv-users] Coax splitters - how painful are they?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Sep 28 21:10:08 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:33:32PM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> What about coax/antenna amps?  Anyone have any recommendations?
>> Neither my cable feed nor my antenna have enough oomph to give a usable
>> signal after being combined into single coax.
>
> You shouldn't be combining incoming CATV with incoming OTA (probably at
> all; certainly without amplifiers and a directional coupler).  If you
> just tie them together, you're leaking CATV out the antenna, and you
> are very likely to receive a fairly prompt visit from the FAA.
>
> No, I didn't hit the wrong key; CATV has a visual carrier fairly close
> to the 121.5 aviation emergency frequency; the FAA sometimes
> investigates such issues personally; sometimes they call the FCC EIC
> for the district.
>
> In any event, if I understood you correctly... don't.  :-)
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

Well I DO NOT FEAR a visit from the FAA....it would be the DoT up here
in the 'frozen north' (that describes our bureaucracies not our weather!)

Seriously, I want to combine a cable feed and an antenna through
combiner, and feed one coax to the TV. Either feed alone is fine and I
can switch them, but through a (cheap) combiner I get nothing watchable.

Both signals have already been split: the cable coax to feed the
mythbox, and the antenna has already been boosted (by a medium-cheap)
amp, and split three ways, 2 of which feed the HDHR unit,

This may not be the best setup.. I do not know. I do suspect that I need
better splitters than the el-cheapo's I had in the bottom of a box of junk.

Suggestions please.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury